VISIT NEPAL

How do you plan to celebrate the New Year’s Day? 

That was a big question in our minds as our semester exams were just finished and we were in good mood of celebrating any events near to this day and some how New Year’s day was just in corner. So, get yourself some drinks and good meals, stay over at a friend’s house and enjoy the day? Nah! We wanted to do something much bigger and much better. That’s how our trip to “Ama Yangri” Peak was planned up. We were a group of five people and we met three elder brothers there in Tarkaygyang. So the next morning (On New Year’s day), all 8 of us were confident enough of reaching the peak. The hotel owner said that we’d see the best view only before 10 am. Climbing almost 1200m within 4 hours was always challenging but the risk was worth it. But has this happened to you that you prepare yourself for an exam whole week, you remember every damn thing, every formulas and theories and on the day of exam you just blew it off and for three hours you stay clueless of like “What is what?” and “What is this?” As said, our great trip of trekking to the top of Ama Yangri peak became a disastrous one as we took the wrong turn within first 5 minutes of the uphill climb.

We were supposed to take the stairs road but with so much adrenaline flowing in our body, we ended up taking the wrong road. I was a heavy guy and in most of the trails, I was at last trying to find the grasp of thin air into my lungs, fighting all the way against fatigue and altitude and making my body move against all the odds. It seemed to me that I was doing fine but just in one turn I came to realize that the lads were way in front of me and then there were two roads diverging from one. I took the right road because the road would take me uphill and the left road was full of dry leaves. I reckoned that if the people had walked on this route yesterday then there’d be some wrappers thrown around or the footprints and since both of them were missing in the dry leaves road, I took the right one. After walking few minutes, I came to realize that the lads were no where to be seen and I realized that I had made a blunder. I screamed my friend’s name multiple times and whistled many times and after around 20 attempts, there comes a loud voice “THE LEFT ONE!”.

I cant define the happiness of seeing the old buds once again. So almost an hour had passed and we were no where near the right route. We had walked through the thick jungle full of lichens, moss and ferns and we also did the rock climbing at few places only to realize that we had reached the landslide avalanche area caused by the Nepal Earthquake two years back. So this is where I tell you, you need to be cautious. Yes, an adventure is wonderful but we all are humans after all. Evolution hasn’t gifted us wings. You wouldn’t believe me but actually we did climb a landslide of almost 50 meters high on that day trying to find the route to the top. I stopped in the middle because my instincts were telling me this wasn’t the road. My breathing was getting fainter, heart was beating faster and legs were getting number because I knew, I knew that if I or anyone of us took a step towards an edge of rock in landslide area, then anyone of us could free fall down to the height of almost 1200m and end up to the place where the eyes couldn’t even see. Good thing about climbing that landslide area was that we saw the Himalayan Monal (Danphe) flying over us and I tell you, it is one of the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen in my life. After spending almost half an hour in landslide area trying to find the road through it, I came to the decision to make a retreat and thus, we ended up coming back to Tarkaygyang.

Our second attempt for the Ama Yangri peak failed because the weather at top of the peak got brutally very bad and luckily, we escaped a snow storm on that day. Yes, I feel very bad that we couldn’t make it to the top and couldn’t see this wonderful view and it haunts me in dream every night I sleep but it was a wonderful but yet, bitter life lesson. May be it was the “Rash decisions” that played a vital part for the failure or may be the “No. Of 8 people” walking together superstitious belief, I can’t say but I escaped death multiple times on that day. Who doesn’t become frustrated when you prepare a lot for exams and end up choking it? But having said this, the journey from a traveler to a story teller won’t stop. And where am I going next to gather stories and memories? Only time has the answer.

#Helambu #YouOnlyLiveOnce – Maulik

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

iPill - A Story

The 9 Exact Things Women Want Men To Do In Bed

When She Reject Proposal